The Loggia of Rethymno is a 16th-century Venetian structure located in the heart of Rethymno’s Old Town. It’s a lovely square structure with three visible walls and three equal semicircular arches on each. The ground-level entry is provided by the central arch. There is no aperture on the southern side of this exquisite construction.
The Loggia of Rethymno was formerly a gathering place for the town’s nobles to discuss economic and political matters. It also served as a hub for the Venetians’ varied commercial and leisure activities.
The Loggia was erected according to the ideas of Michele Sanmicheli, a well-known Veronese engineer. On the west wall, there are two human-like figures. An extra story was constructed to the original structure about 1625. After the Turks conquered Rethymnon, it was transformed into a mosque. On the west side of the mosque, a tower was erected, but it was demolished in the 1930s.
The Loggia is a few yards away from the Venetian harbor, directly opposite to it. There is a narrow passage near the center of the Venetian harbor that leads to this elegant Venetian structure. At present, Loggia belongs to the Ministry of Culture and hosts the Archaeological Museum of Rethymno.
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Sorry, unable to load the Maps API.